Saturday 14 November 2009

The Leeds Light Switch ON & False Advertising

On Thursday 12th November, the Christmas light switch on took place in the Millennium Square in Leeds city centre. The line up was an array of pop stars and artists including Alexandra Burke, last years winner of the X Factor and popstars Girls Can't Catch and Mini Viva. There were also a variety of sports stars who made an appearance, including a few Leeds United Players, as well as some England and Australia rugby league stars! All in all, a pretty attractive lineup would you not agree?

Well actually no....no you wouldn't agree......this infact changed..... not such an attractive lineup afterall. To my disappointment Alexandra Burke the highlight of the line up pulled out last minute due to apparent 'contractual issues'. This I found quite devastating, considering I was only going to go on the basis that Alexandra Burke was going to perform and wow me with her amazingly talented singing and ofcourse dancing... I am really honestly being serious.

This brought me back to the time of the University Summer Ball earlier on in the year. It was held back in June at Lotherton Hall. Déja vu?... I think so. Headline act for the Summer Ball was Katy Perry....yes I hear you say....WOW!! However, she was unable to perform because she was scheduled to be playing at a Music Awards Show in Russia on the same night. So her management team made the error of double booking her and not even realising.

Having already purchased my ticket to go and see Katy Perry, I had no intention of wasting £40 and so did end up going. Thinking the night could not get any worse, on arrival we realised the entire event was outside, in the pouring torrential, freezing cold rain!! With foil blankets at the ready the event management obviously knew that people were probably going to end up with pneumonia. Assuming they were kindly providing us with foil blankets, I went over to the little hut to get one and to my amazement they were not free at all........£1 please!

Anyway, the point of my story is that like the Summer Ball, another headline act was pulling out of another event to be held in Leeds. I was going to go to the light switch on, however, I decided against it because it seemed to be heading the same way as the Summer Ball did. The weather outside was dreadful and I was not prepared to go and be disappointed. It was Pixie Lott who stood in for Alexandra Burke as the headline act. Not a particular favourite of mine if I'm being honest. I think I probably made a sensible choice in the end to stay at home.

In a way, I feel that this kind of situation brings about a sort of false advertisement. If you do not know that an act has pulled out of a show until after you have bought a ticket, then in a way I feel you have been robbed. If you had the ability to see into the future, then you probably wouldn't have bought the ticket in the first place. Although this was not the case with the light switch on because the event was free to the public, I am sure there was a feeling of disappointment amongst those who found out about Alexandra's absence once they had arrived at the Square.



I will leave you with this image I found, which demonstrates advertisement that it deceptive, unclear, false ( whatever you want to call it ). Just take a look.....at a glance, 'what does this appear to be selling?' Well, if I'm being honest, I was drawn to the typography at the top "Coffee Bar", immediately thinking it was a vending machine for drinks. On closer inspection though, I realised it was infact a petrol pump!? I wonder, or should I say I genuinely hope that nobody made that potentially fatal mistake of confusing the two. All I can say is, oops if they did, oops!!

No comments:

Post a Comment