Sunday 1 November 2009

The Results....

Like I said before, I was definitely going to test out the packaging of the November issue of Creative Review..... and where and whom better to share the results with than on my blog with you guys. Well... it didn't get off to a good start seeing as I spilt a cup of water on the plastic packaging that 'dissolved in water'...oops..... by accident of course. It did actually start to dissolve but not very well due to the fact that the water in my cup wasn't over 60 degrees celsius.



Despite the slight glitch, the review was absolutely fine and I continued to experiment with the plastic. I placed it in a bowl, poured boiling water over it and proceeded to watch as it began to...yes...dissolve! And when i say dissolve, the process was pretty instantaneous- the plastic started to disintegrate as soon as the water was poured onto it, as you can see from the image above.



I used a spoon to mix up the water and plastic and also to help it dissolve a little faster. It was the black printed text that took longer than the rest of the packaging to disintegrate. The plastic became quite sticky and 'gloopy' if that's even a word?! Kind of sticky like PVA glue and stuck to the spoon as it was disappearing.

Here you can see the the plastic going.........




......going....



....and finally GONE!



It took approximately ten minutes for the packaging to fully dissolve in the water. Now...do you remember me telling you in my last blog that it was 'apparently' perfectly fine to drink?...yes?.......well, one of my flat mates was curious by this statement and wanted to put it to the test himself. He took a tiny sip and claimed that it did not taste of anything really. So, me being easily persuaded as always decided to try it too. Literally, I hardly even took a sip, being a little apprehensive drinking plastic..........but he was right!! It did not taste of anything really just plain warm/hot water. However, I do think that if someone was to drink the whole bowl , it probably wouldn't leave that great a taste in your mouth. So, in my opinion, DO try this at home just DON'T drink the entire bowl at the end.

2 comments: