Tuesday 26 October 2010

Blue Dragon Sachet and My own Design

Since the last lecture we had, I have started looking more at the way contents on food packaging is designed. Here is an example of the contents within a sachet of Blue Dragon Stir Fry Sauce. As you can see, there is no change in the design of this at all, the only change being the information for the specific contents. However, it does certainly tell you the facts straight and does not show the facts in a deceiving way, making you think that it is healthier than it actually is.

Here is my own redesign of the contents. I have looked at two of Bertin’s 6 retinal variables, orientation and also size. Each piece of information is within a square shape and the name of the contents is in a section at the top of the square, bringing consistency to the design.

I have changed the orientation by having the arrowhead pointing downward for a low % and pointing upwards for a high % for daily intake. For the calories I have changed the orientation of the shape so that the arrows are all around the square. This is because people may be more likely to look at calories, knowing that the daily intake is 1500 for women and 2000 for men. I have also made it stand out more by changing the size of the calories content to a larger one than the other contents of the sachet.


No comments:

Post a Comment