Monday 11 October 2010

What the Tweet?

="

What the Tweet? from GOOD.is on Vimeo.

">


I found this video on Vimeo, which is about looking at what subjects people blog about and where these people get their sources from e.g. newspapers or magazines. It then does the same with twitter users. So what they tweet about along with the sources that they have got their information from. I found this quite confusing at first because all the information was being given to me far too quickly. I couldn’t take it all in at once, so I had to look at the video over and over a few times. I then started to see how it had been arranged and it started to make more sense to me.

At first we can see the sources of information and stories that people blog about. From the colour key at the bottom of the page, it is apparent that the majority of bloggers are influenced by the following sources: U.S Newspaper/Magazines, U.S Broadcast and International Broadcast. These three particularly stand out as showing the most colour on the diagram at the top of the page. It then informs us of the subjects that people blog about. From the layout of this shot, I assume that the larger the cutout for each subject, the more people blog about it. This shows that Politics/ Government is the most popular subject to blog about, followed my Foreign Affairs and then Science. I think that the images drawn to represent each subject are simple with no extra colour to add confusion. However, I am not sure that I would have realised what the subject was without the text being alongside it. In this case both are needed.

This is then repeated for the twitter users to find that the majority of these people get their resources from U.S Broadcast and U.S websites and tweet about technology. The comparison at the end makes it clearer what the information is trying to show but I certainly think there is far too much in the 50 seconds that the video last for. Perhaps the mixture between the key and colour use along with the pictograms for each of the subjects over complicates the design and detracts the attention away from the information. Maybe if it was more simplistic, less chaotic and had consistency, it would be easier to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment